POWER OF LOVE is in production
In Production June 2021
- EXODUS by Abbe Hassan, producer: EAVE graduate Mattias Nohrborg is shooting in Greece. The script has been described as “a warm-hearted story of survival and friendship” and is inspired by the director’s own experience as a refugee who left war-torn Beirut for Sweden as a child. In particular, the film will follow young Amal fleeing Syria. In a Turkish harbour, she meets the refugee smuggler Sam. Amal wants to travel to Greece where her sisters are, and then join her parents in Sweden. The quick-witted but traumatised young girl and the older, jaded Sam travel together through Europe in search of freedom, gradually developing a father-daughter relationship that will mean both their survival and awakening. EXODUS is produced by Mattias Nohrborg, Anna-Clara Carlsten and Olle Wirenhed for Swedish studio B-Reel Films. Co-producer is by Film i Väst and SVT, and backinf comes from the Nordisk Film & TV Fond.
- POWER OF LOVE by Jonas Rothlaender, producers: EAVE graduates Mark Lwoff and Misha Jaari is currently filming. A couple navigating their respective roles during a trip to the Turku archipelago, Jonas Rothlaender’s second feature will try to answer some pretty fundamental questions. “When I started the project, I was wondering: is it really possible to be equal in a relationship? For this couple, it certainly changes: sometimes one is more dominant and the other more submissive. It excites them, too,” Rothlaender says. Produced by by Julia M Müller, Luis Singer and Dennis Schanz for StickUp Filmproduktion, as well as Finland’s Mark Lwoff and Misha Jaari from Bufo.
- ALCARRAS by Carla Simon, producers: EAVE graduate and Spanish National Coordinator Maria Zamora, Giovanni Pompili is in production. The perfect state of ripeness of a certain type of fruit has completely governed the progress of a film production – in this case, that of the eagerly awaited second effort by Catalonian director Carla Simon. The shoot had been scheduled to start exactly one year ago, but the health crisis brought on by the coronavirus pandemic delayed filming by months. For the shoot, it was vital that the peaches, which are so important in the storyline would be hanging from the trees, ready to be picked during the summer. The cast of the film is made up of non-professional actors from the Lleida area and farm workers, who were chosen following a long casting process that lasted over a year, given that it had to be put on hold and happen all over again owing to the pandemic. In the words of the director: “This is a story about belonging to the soil, to a place, but it’s also a drama about the perpetual clashes between the generations, moving on from old traditions and the importance of the family unit in times of crisis." ALCARRAS is a production by Spanish outfits Avalon PC and Vilaut Films, in co-production with Kino Produzioni (Italy). It has secured support from the ICAA, ICEC, MEDIA, Eurimages, MiBACT and the Lleida provincial government. Furthermore, TVE, Movistar+ and TV3 are involved. At the project stage, the project won several prices, f.e. the CNC Award for Best Project, handed out at at the TorinoFilmLab (2018), the Eurimages Co-production Development Award, which it obtained at the 2019 Berlin Co-Production Market and the Special Mention at the 2019 pitch at the Cinéfondation Residence in Cannes. The shoot will continue until the end of July in various rural locations within the province of Lleida.
- DES GENS BIENS by Matthieu Donck, Benjamin d'Aoust and Stéphane Bergmans, producer: PUENTES graduate Anthony Rey started shooting. The series tells the story of Tom and Linda Leroy, a couple of thirty-somethings in debt who decide to set up a life insurance scam in order to get the money and start a new life in the sun. The series also follows Philippe, a cop who could have stopped everything, and Cathy, an insurance broker who will investigate come hail or high water; their small border community, left aside by modernity, that refuses to see the evil that is gnawing at it; these good people who didn’t mean to hurt anybody. Carried by Hélicotronc in Belgium and Unité in France is the first co-production between the RTBF and Arte.
- NOBODY LIKES ME by Tomas Weinreb and Petr Kazda, co-producers: EAVE graduates Guillaume de Seille and Dan Wechsler is shooting. Following a similar thematic thread to the filmmaker’s previous effort I, OLGA HEPNAROVA, NOBODY LIKES ME revolves around characters that do not fit into society. The main character is loner Sara, who works as a secretary at the army headquarters in Prague. Sara unexpectedly falls in love with a mysterious man called Martin. When Sara wants to move their relationship to a physical level, Martin’s deep secret emerges. “A significant source of inspiration for the script was the classic Greek drama Antigone. However, from the very beginning, we wanted the story to take place in the present,” says Kazda. “Both of the main characters are different. Despite this, and notwithstanding their doubts, they are strong personalities and do not give up easily. Their pursuit of happiness goes beyond ordinary everydayness,” says Weinreb about the story, which will touch upon the topic of intersexuality and tolerance. The first clapperboard slammed in March in the Slovak capital, and shooting will continue in Pilsen and Prague before returning to Bratislava. NOBODY LIKES ME is being produced by Czech outfits Black Balance and love.FRAME and Slovak company ARYTMIA, and co-produced by Arizona Productions (France), Bord Cadre Films (Switzerland) and Czech Television. The Czech Film Fund, Slovak Audiovisual Fund and Creative Europe – MEDIA have supported the film.
- DANGEROUS GENTLEMEN by Maciej Kawalski, producer: EAVE graduate Agnieszka Dziedzic is in production. The film follows Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński, Witkacy, Joseph Conrad and Bronisław Malinowski, four famous bohemians from Zakopane, who wake up after a bibulous all-night party. Their heads are bursting from a hangover, no one remembers anything and the situation is not improved by the corpse of an unknown man found on the floor. In addition, law enforcement officers are knocking on their door. Produced by Agnieszka Dziedzic from Koi Studio in co-production with Leszek Bodzak and Aneta Hickinbotham from Aurum Film, as well as WFS Walter Film Studio and TVN, the film received a production grant from the Polish Film Institute.
Page published 29 June 2021. Updated 30 June 2021.
Previous: 29 June 2021
SMOKE SAUNA SISTERHOOD by Anna Hints is now in post-production
29 June 2021
POWER OF LOVE is in production
Next: 29 June 2021
TTB Project FRUIT GATHERING by by Aung Phyoe receives funding