PUENTES project JESUS LOPEZ in development
In Development August 2020
The following EAVE graduates have received Creative Europe development funding (slate funding) for their projects and companies:
- Miha Cernec, STARA GARA, Slovenia
- Maria Blicharska, DONTEN & LACROIX FILMS, Poland
- Bostjan Virc, STUDIO VIRC, Slovenia
- Laurette Schillings, TOPKAPI RIGHTS, Netherlands
- Esko Rips, NAFTA FILMS, Estonia
- Peter de Maegd, Lize Lefaible, POTEMKINO, Belgium
- Cedric Bonin, SEPPIA, France
- Leontine Petit, LEMMING FILM, Netherlands
- Anne Katrine Andersen, ZENTROPA ENTERTAINMENT, Denmark
- Ed Guiney, ELEMENT PICTURES, Ireland
- Peter Badac, BFILM, Slovakia
- Jon Nohrstedt, SF STUDIOS, Sweden
- Arash T. Riahi, Karin C. Berger, GOLDEN GIRLS FILMPRODUKTION & FILMSERVICES, Austria
- Dyveke Bjørkly Graver, Andrea Berentsen Ottmar, OSLO PICTURES, Norway
- Joonas Berghäll, OKTOBER, Finland
- Viktoria Petranyi, PROTON CINEMA, Hungary
- Laura Sinovcic, 4FILM, Croatia
- Jonas Weydemann, WEYDEMANN BROS, Germany
- Valerie Delpierre, INICIA FILMS, Spain
- Denis Vaslin, Fleur Knopperts, VOLYA FILMS, Netherlands
- Ana Alexieva, AGITPROP, Bulgaria
- Lilian Klages, PARKA PICTURES, Denmark
- Jozsef Berger, MYTHBERG FILMS, Hungary
- Amanda Livanou, NEDA FILM, Greece
- Ruben Thorkildsen, APE&BJORN, Norway
- Julie Esparbes, HELICOTRONC, Belgium
- Alba Sotorra Clua, ALBA SOTORRA SL, Spain
- Jon Hammer, ADOMEIT FILM, Denmark
- Enrica Capra, GRAFFITIDOC, Italy
- Kristin Ulseth, MAIPO FILM, Norway
- Danijel Hocevar, VERTIGO, Slovenia
- Claire McClaughey, TREASURE ENTERTAINMENT, Ireland
Baltic Sea Docs
Selected for by Baltic Sea Docs, the Latvian co-financing forum of international documentary projects:
- LOVE IN THE TIME OF CORONA by Virginija Vareikyte, Maximilien Dejoie, producer: EAVE graduate Dagne Vildziunaite
- NORD EXPRESS by Karlis Lesins, producer: EAVE+ graduate Gints Grube
- THE LAND by Ivars Seleckis, producer: EAVE+ graduate Gints Grube
- WE ARE ANIMALS by Saila Kivelä, Vesa Kuosmanen, producers: EAVE graduates Elli Toivoniemi, Venla Hellstedt
RED DUST by Moussa Touré, producer: EAVE graduate Marion Guth is in preparation. The story, written in collaboration with EAVE graduate Stéphan Roelants: In the community of Saint Louis in Senegal, the installation of a Chinese merchant is causing a stir. Souleymane, a young Senegalese employed in the store, tries to quiet the situation, which is becoming increasingly explosive as red dust invades the neighbourhood, exacerbating resentments and unspoken accusations. RED DUST is being produced by Luxembourgish outfit a_BAHN and Dakar-based Les Films du Crocodile (Senegal). The project is backed by Film Fund Luxembourg and will be released in 2022.
PUENTES project JESUS LOPEZ by Maximiliano Schonfeld, producer: PUENTES graduate Georgina Baisch resumes shooting. Shooting had to be cancelled after three weeks due to Covid. A CNC funding provided the needed extra support to finish the film. The plot: Abel is a purposeless teenager who lives in inner Argentina. Jesus López was his cousin and he died in a motorcycle accident. Abel takes his place and the environment of Jesus López, at first, is seduced by the idea of double. But soon enough, they begin to be uncomfortable. However, Abel is not willing to abandon that borrowed life without giving a fight. Supported by: Mecenazgo Cultural (Argentina), National Fund for the Arts (Argentina), INCAA (Argentina). Winner of BAL, BAFICI 2019 – Puentes/EAVE – Tres Puertos Cine, selected for San Sebastian Film Festival’s WIP LATAM section.
PUENTES project SHOCK LABOR by Marcos Diaz Sosa, producer: PUENTES graduate Maria Carla del Rio, EAVE graduates Gema Juarez Allen and Sandino Saravia Vinay is shooting. Teh film is a darkly comic portrait of Cuban society: A disenchanted young pregnant woman is afraid of getting stuck in the small Cuban town where she lives. But when a tornado whisks her away to a luxury resort – where her competitive shooting skills turn her into a celebrity amongst the island’s Communist elite – she comes to realize, like a Hollywood heroine of a bygone era, that there’s no place like home. Using absurdist humor and a surrealist pastiche of styles – drawing on everything from The Wizard of Oz to Soviet-era propaganda films – the film looks at how younger Cubans are reexamining the assumptions of the past in order to “question the romantic patriotism” of their parents’ generation.
The project will be presented in Ventana Sur this week during Proyecta, a new collaboration with the San Sebastian Film Festival to foster co-productions with and within Latin America.
The hotly anticipated title was developed at the Sundance Directors and Screenwriters Lab and has been invited to participate at the Berlinale Co-Production Market, Cannes’ La Fabrique des Cinémas du Monde, the Guadalajara Co-Production Meetings and the Sørfond Pitching Forum.
SHOCK LABOR has received support from the likes of Programa Ibermedia, the Tribeca Film Institute’s Latin American Fund, as well as World Cinema Amsterdam’s Go Cuba! Initiative, and was awarded by Switzerland’s Visions Sud Est fund.
Page published 31 August 2020.
Previous: 31 August 2020
TTB project MEMORY OF WATER now in production
31 August 2020
PUENTES project JESUS LOPEZ in development
Next: 31 August 2020
Interview with Elias Ribeiro and Mehret Mandefro
EAVE EXCLUSIVE Interview with EAVE graduate Elias Ribeiro and Mehret Mandefro