PUENTES 2019 culminates in Uruguay
PUENTES Europe/Latin America Co-Production Workshop heads to Uruguay for the second and final workshop of this year’s edition (November 26 – December 2). The 15 selected participants (complete list below) will continue to work on each other’s projects under the guidance of the two group leaders Jean des Forêts (Petit Film, FR) and Agustina Chiarino (Mutante Cine, UY). The experts will include script consultant Jacques Akchoti (FR), sales agent Carole Baraton (Charades FR), management consultant Georgina Miranda (NL) and Cannes Critic’s Week’s Charles Tesson (FR) will give a session entitled festival insights. Aside from the plenary sessions, daily group work sessions will be the core of PUENTES.
In parallel to the workshop, selected Uruguayan producers will attend tailor-made PUENTES Uruguay sessions and have the opportunity to network with the PUENTES participants during the common plenary and networking events. Experts include Juan Antonio Vigar, director of the Málaga Festival and of the Málaga Film Office (ES), Costanza Arena, Executive Director of CinemaChile (CL) and Fernando Epstein (Mutante Cine, UY). Thanks to a special cooperation with Marché du Film – Festival de Cannes, all PUENTES & PUENTES Uruguay participants will be able to attend VENTANA SUR (Dec 2-6) in Buenos Aires after the workshop.
Proyecta, an initiative organized by Ventana Sur and the San Sebastian Film Festival, will host the presentation of 16 film projects in search of co-production between Latin America and Europe. Among them PUENTES project “STREETS OF GLORIA” which will be presented by Brazilian producer Daniel Van Hoogstraten in a pitching session to professionals from the international film industry.
Other recent successes include:
- OUR MOTHERS/NUESTRAS MADRES, directed by César Diaz & produced by Géraldine Sprimont (Need Productions, Belgium) has won the prix SACD de la Semaine de la Critique, Caméra d'Or, Grand Golden Railprix at Cannes, Best Photo award at the Oostende Film Festival, Spanish Cooperation Award at San Sebastian 2019, Prix de la Critique at Namur Film Festival 2019 and has been nominated to represent Belgium in the Oscar Race 2020.
- THE SHARKS (LOS TIBURONES), directed by Lucia Garibaldi & produced by Pancho Magnou (Montelona Cine, Uruguay) has won Best Director at Sundance 2019 - World Cinema Dramatic Competition, Grand Prix Coup de Cœur at Cinélatino – Rencontres de Toulouse.
- MATERNAL (HOGAR), directed by Maura Delpero & produced by Alessandro Amato (Disparte, Italy) has won Ecumenic Jury Award and Second Prize of the Youth Jury in Locarno IFF 2019, Audience Award at Annecy Cinéma Italien, Special Mention of the Jury at Reykjavík International Film Festival 2019, Special Mention for Best Feature Film (Section Competencia Argentina) and FIPRESCI Prize for the Best Argentine Film at Festival Internacional de Cine de Mar del Plata.
- THE HEIRESSES (LAS HEREDERAS), directed by Marcelo Martinessi & produced by Sebastian Peña Escobar (La Babosa Cine, Paraguay) & developed by PUENTES participant Karen Fraenkel (Mira, Paraguay) has won Best Actress & Best Opera Prima for Premios Platino del Cine Iberoamericano 2019
- DEATH WILL COME AND WILL HAVE YOUR EYES (VENDRÁ LA MUERTE Y TENDRÁ TUS OJOS), directed by José Luis Torres Leiva & produced by Catalina Vergara (Globo Rojo Producciones, Chile) world premiered at San Sebastian IFF in the official competition.
- AUGUST (AGOSTO), directed by Armando Capó Ramos & produced by Marcela Esquivel Jiménez (La Feria Producciones, Costa Rica) world premiered in Discovery Toronto IFF 2019 & Horizontes Latinos San Sebastian IFF 2019.
PUENTES is organized by EAVE in partnership with Mutante Cine, FVG Audiovisual Fund , Ventana Sur and MIBACT and with the support of IBERMEDIA and Creative Europe – MEDIA sub-programme of the European Union.
For more information please contact:
The selected participants for PUENTES 2019 are:
Georgina Baisch, Murillo Cine, Argentina
Project: JESUS LOPEZ, director: Maximiliano Schonfeld
Fay Breeman, Hubert Bals Fund / International Film Festival Rotterdam, Netherlands
Gabija Budreckyte, Kinomind Films, Lithuania
Pablo Calisto, Equeco, Chile
Project: IL CILENO, director: TBC
Agustina Costa Varsi, Volpe Films, Argentina / Italy
Project: LA FIEBRE, director: Mateo Bendesky
Isabel Garcia Arnabal, Montelona Cine, Uruguay
Project: POLLEN, director: Diego Blanco
Andrea Herrera Catalá, Amore y Lujo, Venezuela
Project: DINOSAUR, director: Javier Ferrero
Marcin Luczaj, New Europe Film Sales, Poland
Gaëlle Mareschi, Kinology / Fluxus Films, France
Julie O’Leary, Freelancer, Ireland
Project: EL OTRO LADO, director: Barbara Cigarroa
Daniel Pech, Multiverso Produções, Brasil
Project: CASA SEM DONO, directors: Alvaro Furloni and Mario Furloni
Alexandra Reveyrand de Menthon, Charades, France
Kostas Tagalakis, Topspot, Greece
Project: Brasil, director: Thelya Petraki
Daniel van Hoogstraten, Syndrome Films, Brasil / Netherlands
Project: STREETS OF GLORIA, director: Felipe Sholl
Juan Diego Villegas, Fidelio Films, Colombia
Page published 19 November 2019. Updated 5 December 2019.
Previous: 13 November 2019
LES ARCS INDUSTRY VILLAGE WELCOMES YOU!
19 November 2019
PUENTES 2019 culminates in Uruguay
Next: 25 November 2019
Ties That Bind heads to Singapore for the 5th year