EAVE project TO THE NORTH is shooting
In Production April 2021
- TONY, SHELLY AND THE SPIRIT by Filip Posivac, producer: EAVE graduate Pavla Janouskova Kubeckova is in production. In Posicavc’s first long animated film, Tony, a peculiar, glowing boy, and his new friend Shelly, try to discover the many mysteries of their old tenement house. The film is produced by Nutprodukce (Chech Republic) in co-production with Nutprodukcia (Slovakia) and Filmfabriq (Hungary). Support comes from the Czech Film Fund, the Slovak Audiovisual Fund, the National Film Institute - Hungary and Eurimages.
- EL NIETO by Nely Reguera, co-producer: EAVE graduate Maria Dandraki is in production. The plot: Marisa, bored with her life as a retiree and tired of constantly comparing herself to her friends, who are already grandmothers, decides to travel to a refugee camp where, the way she sees it, they are in need of people exactly like her. Upon her arrival, she discovers a reality that she could never have imagined and which leads her to explore the boundaries between love and the need to feel useful. EL NIETO is a production by Spanish outfits Fasten Films and Bteam Prods and Greece’s Homemade Films. It boasts the involvement of RTVE, TV3 and Movistar +; funding from the ICAA, ICEC and Eurimages; and backing from Creative Europe – MEDIA.
- THE GOOD DRIVER by Tonislav Hristov, producer: EAVE graduate Kaarle Aho is shooting. The protagonist is Ivan, a Bulgarian taxi driver working and living in the Golden Sands seaside resort, slowly saving money in order to go back to Finland – where he used to live with his ex-wife – and make amends for his past mistakes. The feature is being staged by Finnish production company Making Movies Oy represented by Kaarle Aho and by Hristov’s Soul Food (Bulgaria). The project is supported by the Finnish Film Foundation, the Bulgarian National Film Center and Eurimages. The first part of the shoot took place last November in Golyam Dervent, moving to Sofia in March. Hristov will shoot in the Golden Sands resort in June and July, and in Helsinki in August.
- EAVE project TO THE NORTH by Mihai Mincan, producer: EAVE and TTB graduate Radu Stancu, co-producers: EAVE and TTB graduate Konstantinos Vassilaros and EAVE graduate Mikulas Novotny is shooting. The story, inspired by a real event, focuses on a religious Filipino sailor who is working on a transatlantic ship, where he meets a young Romanian stowaway. Convinced by a Bible that this emigrant has, the sailor starts playing a dangerous game, involving his crew, his faith in God, and an innocent man’s life. TO THE NORTH is produced by Radu Stancu through Romania’s deFilm in co-production with Cyriac Auriol through France’s Remora Films, Konstantinos Vassilaros and Orfeas Perezis through Greek Studio Bauhaus, Poli Angelova and Nikolay Todorov through Bulgaria’s Screening Emotions, and Mikulas Novotny through Czech Background Films. Ioana Lascar is delegate producer and Ramona Grama is executive producer. The film is supported by the Romanian Film Centre (CNC), the Czech Film Fund, the Bulgarian Film Center, ARTE Cofinova, the Greek Film Center, ERT Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation, the Creative Europe – MEDIA Programme and Angoa. The project has been developed at: EAVE Producer’s Workshop, EAVE Ties that Bind, ApostLab, Sofia Meetings, New Horizons Studio +, Transilvania Pitch Stop and Villa Kult Residency, supported by Renate Roginas. The shooting takes place in Romania and Greece, while the postproduction will be made in Romania, the Czech Republic and France.
- MONK, PANNONICA AND THE JAZZMEN by Jacques Goldstein is in production. Based on the discovery of a notebook of forgotten photos and notes, the film tells the story of the meeting, outside the narrow norms of 1950s America, between the white aristocrat Pannonica de Koenigswarter, author of this notebook, and the brilliant black pianist Thelonious Monk. All the way from archives from the 40’s to today’s interviews of major modern jazz artists, a film placed under the sign of the fight of black musicians for the recognition of their art. The film is a co-production with CFRT (FR), with the support of the Film Fund Luxembourg (LU), CNC (FR), Procirep-Angoa (FR) and ARTE G.E.I.E. (FR). The shooting sessions take place in New York, Paris, and Luxembourg.
- SWEET DREAMS by Robin McNicholas, producer: EAVE graduate Marion Guth is in production. The Virtual Reality piece that combines screen, theatre and music, is a study of human appetites – of greed and restraint, guilt and desire. Using the theme of food and the language of dreams, it explores our complex and often conflicted relationships with the things we want. The co-production with Marshmallow Laser Feast (UK), PHI Studio (CA) has the support of Film Fund Luxembourg (LU), British Film Institute (UK), Innovate UK (UK), National Lottery (UK).
Page published 29 April 2021.
Previous: 29 April 2021
PETIT SOLANGE by Axelle Ropert in post-production now
29 April 2021
EAVE project TO THE NORTH is shooting
Next: 29 April 2021
EAVE project NOT A WORD receives funding