Two workshops in Torino and Dubai for writer and producer teams from Europe and the Middle East working on the development of their features.
Workshop 2 in Dubai: December 10-14, 2010
Thanks to the support of Media International, TorinoFilmLab, the Dubai International Film Festival and EAVE have launched a new Middle East – Europe Training: Interchange – TFL/DIFF/EAVE Development and Co-production Workshops. The aim is to build cooperation between film professionals from Europe, the Gulf countries and selected countries of the Middle East (Bahrain, Iraq , Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Palestinian Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), selecting 12 teams of writer/director + producer and bringing them together for 2 residential 4 and 5-day workshops, one in Torino in April and one in Dubai in December. The training is designed to match the needs of experienced professionals who want to develop their skills by concrete work on their projects, under the expert guidance of international tutors, and who are ready to share their ideas with colleagues and involve themselves in discussions in order to improve and increase their knowledge.
Workshop & online sessions
2 intensive 4 and 5 day workshops (in April and December 2010) and two on-line sessions keep the project development in a constructive flow. The first workshop in Torino is dedicated only to writers, the second one in Dubai to both writers and producers. The workshops will address all the subjects connected to in-depth project development (script development, co-production strategies, budget and financing, marketing and production, pitching); provide wide-ranging networking opportunities with key players from both Arab and EU film industries; offer first-hand experience knowledge and awareness on both markets through project presentation at international co-production market.
Drawing on EAVE and TFL tested pedagogical methods and building on both organizations previous experiences of working with Dubai International Film Festival and the Gulf Film Festival the workshops may bring short and long term benefits to participants:
- establishing an extensive network of professional contacts both in the Arab region and Europe
- experiencing first-hand the European and Arab region market opportunities
- developing practical professional skills in project development, financing, co-production, international marketing which can be applied to current and future projects
- furthering opportunities for success in having their project produced.
- realizing projects along a development ‘fast track’ through help from international experts/ tutors
- personal and professional development for shaping a marketable audiovisual product
- acquiring lifelong/ teachable professional know-how implementing a broader creative vision
- establishing international audiovisual industry relations through TFL, EAVE and DIFF partners’ industry network comprising producers, financiers, financial, legal, business advisors and decision-makers, which will then also be accessible for future projects
- understanding of Arab and EU markets and what projects may be suitable for co-production
- promoting audience taste for Arabian audiovisual works in the EU markets and vice-versa
- practice at the final pitching for connecting with industry at future Festivals or co-production Markets
- acquiring strengths for operating internationally backed by reputable networks
The tutors and trainers are experienced and well connected professionals, both at a European and international level. Each creative team will comprise 3 scriptwriters/directors, 3 creative producers, 1 development tutor. Sometimes all participants will be in 1 group, sometimes in groups of writers and producers and sometimes in groups of writers only or producers only.
Please note that the working language is English only.
PARTNERS: MEDIA International, Torino Film Lab, Dubai International Film Festival.
Page last updated 3 February 2011