Call for entries Interchange 2011!
Deadline February 28th, 2011
Thanks to the support of Media International/Media Mundus (TBC), TorinoFilmLab, the Dubai International Film Festival and EAVE are running a Middle East – Europe Training: Interchange – TFL/DIFF/EAVE Development and Co-production Workshops. The aim is to build cooperation between film professionals from Europe and the Arab countries (Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen), selecting 12 teams of writer/director + producer and bringing them together for 2 residential 5-day workshops, one in Torino at the end of May/beginning of June and one in Dubai in December. The training is designed to match the needs of experienced professionals who want to develop their skills by concrete work on their projects, under the expert guidance of international tutors, and who are ready to share their ideas with colleagues and involve themselves in discussions in order to improve and increase their knowledge.
The programme had its first editon in 2010, developing 11 projects from Arab territories and has just come to a successful close in Dubai with the second workshop (December 10-14) during the Dubai Film Festival under the guidance of top level tutors from both Europe and the Middle East.
Who can apply?
Teams of writer/director + producer can apply. Film professionals must come from Europe or one of the listed Arab countries:
Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.
The applicant producers should have a demonstrable track record of producing in their own country and perhaps internationally. This could include the production of feature films, documentaries, music videos, advertising.
European applicants must be able to demonstrate a clear relationship to or involvement with the countries indicated above and proposed projects should come from or be related to them.
The working language of all Interchange workshops and events is English; thus, a good knowledge of English is essential in order to participate.
Workshop & on line sessions
2 intensive 5 day workshops (end of May/beginning of June and December 2011) and two on-line sessions keep the project development in a constructive flow.
The first workshop in Torino is dedicated only to writers, the second one in Dubai to both writers and producers.
The workshops will address all the subjects connected to in-depth project development (script development, co-production strategies, budget and financing, marketing and production, pitching); provide wide-ranging networking opportunities with key players from both Arab and EU film industries; offer first-hand experience knowledge and awareness on both markets through project presentation at international co-production market.
Drawing on EAVE and TFL tested pedagogical methods and building on both organizations previous experiences of working with Dubai International Film Festival and the Gulf Film Festival the workshops may bring short and long term benefits to participants:
• establishing an extensive network of professional contacts both in the Arab region and Europe
• experiencing first-hand the European and Arab region market opportunities
• developing practical professional skills in project development, financing, co-production, international marketing which can be applied to current and future projects
• furthering opportunities for success in having their project produced.
• realizing projects along a development ‘fast track’ through help from international experts/ tutors
• personal and professional development for shaping a marketable audiovisual product
• acquiring lifelong/ teachable professional know-how implementing a broader creative vision
• establishing international audiovisual industry relations through TFL, EAVE and DIFF partners’ industry network comprising producers, financiers, financial, legal, business advisors and decision-makers, which will then also be accessible for future projects
• understanding of Arab and EU markets and what projects may be suitable for co-production
• promoting audience taste for Arabian audiovisual works in the EU markets and vice-versa
• practice at the final pitching for connecting with industry at future Festivals or co-production Markets
• acquiring strengths for operating internationally backed by reputable networks
The tutors and trainers are experienced and well connected professionals, both at a European and international level.
Each creative team will comprise 4 scriptwriters/directors, 4 creative producers, 1 development tutor. Sometimes all participants will be in 1 group, sometimes in groups of writers and producers and sometimes in groups of writers only or producers only.
How to apply?
It is needed to apply through Torinofilmlab website, sending the application to email@example.com
The application file must include, ALL IN ENGLISH:
-application form (available on this page)
-full curriculum vitae (all applicants)
-synopsis (1 page maximum/only for writers)
-treatment (10 page maximum /only for writers)
-intention (1 page maximum/all applicants). For European projects, the producer should also explain in which way the project is related to the Arab countries which are part of the Interchange Program.
-development/production timetable (for producers)
-detailed budget, incl. development budget (for producers)
-financing plan (euro currency), with detailed info about the funds’ country of origin, region of interest and their relevant deadline, and mark any funds already obtained (for producers)
Page published 17 December 2010.
Previous: 15 December 2010
TIES THAT BIND – ASIA / EUROPE PRODUCERS WORKSHOP 2011
17 December 2010
Call for entries Interchange 2011!
Next: 21 December 2010
EAVE workshops & deadlines in 2011