ZERO IMPUNITY now in post-production
In Post-Production March 2018
- THE MIRACLE OF THE SARGASSO SEA by Syllas Tzoumerkas, producers: EAVE graduates Maria Drandaki and Ellen Havenith, EAVE+ graduate Titus Kreyenberg is in post-production. The story, which bristles with police drama-thriller tension and also has horror undertones, follows two women: Elisabeth, a promiscuous policewoman who sees her life sinking into the abyss of a swampy provincial town, and Rita, a lonely, poor eel-hatchery worker, trapped in the circumstances of her never-changing life. They will discover a striking similarity between them in a bland, heartless world. The film has received the support of the Greek Film Centre, Film und Medienstiftung NRW, the Netherlands Film Fund, the Netherlands Film Production Incentive, the Swedish Film Institute, ERT SA, Eurimages and MEDIA.
- THE MERCY OF THE JUNGLE by Joel Karekezi, producers: EAVE graduates Aurélien Bodinaux and Nezha Cohen is in post-production. The film about a war with an antimilitarist aim shows the open wounds left by the fights and questions the place of humanity in armed conflicts: At the outbreak of the Second Congo War, Sergeant Xavier and young private Faustin, are accidentally left behind in the jungle. With only each other to count on, they embark on an odyssey across the most violent forest on earth, facing the depths of their own war-torn souls. Produced by Neon Rouge and co-produced by Tact Production (Fr) and Perfect Shot Films (De) the film has received development support from Durban International Film Festival and Luxor African Film Festival and is funded by OIF and CNC.
- THE DELEGATION by Bujar Alimani, co-producer: Ties That Bind graduate Guillaume de la Boulaye is in post-production. The plot: A group of Western diplomats arrive in Albania in order to investigate human rights abuses by the communist regime still in power. A political prisoner, Leo, is secretly taken out of a prison in order to meet Loheren, head of the European delegation, whom Leo met during his university years during the 1960s. But nothing goes according to plan.
- FREE SUBJECT by Stella Theodorakis, producer: EAVE graduate Guillaume de Seille is in post-production. The film poses the question of whether individual freedom exists in contemporary Western societies. Iris, a teacher at a Fine Arts School, assigns her students an exercise titled “Free Subject”, with an aim for them to mature more deeply in a time of crisis.
- PASSED BY CENSOR by Serhat Karaaslan, producers: EAVE graduate Undine Filter, Ties That Bind graduate Judith Nora is in post-production. Produced by Turkey’s +90 Film Production, Germany’s Departures Film and France’s Silex Films, PASSED BY CENSOR revolves around 30-year-old Zakir, a worker at an Istanbul prison whose job is to censor sensitive parts of letters that inmates receive and send. His routine takes an unexpected turn after he becomes infatuated with the wife of one of the inmates and decides to discover more about her life with the help of a young woman he meets while attending a creative writing class. The film was developed at the Cannes Film Festival’s Cinéfondation residence, Berlinale Talents, the Jerusalem International Film Lab and the Locarno Filmmakers Academy.
- ZERO IMPUNITY by Nicolas Blies, Stéphane Hueber-Blies and EAVE graduate Marion Guth, producer: EAVE graduate Stephan Roelants has finished post-production. The animated documentary produced by a_BAHN decrypts impunity and how rape is used as a weapon in current armed conflicts. Despite increasingly refined war technology, mass rape is used as a tool of war in modern combat. Some 25,000 to 40,000 women were victims of mass rape during the Balkan war 1992-1995. Twenty years after these crimes, only very few cases of war crimes of sexual violence have been investigated and prosecuted. For the women in the film the rapes remain a dark shadow in their lives enshrouded by taboo. For these women legal justice is the only hope to regain integrity and life. However, justice fails and betrays them all the way to the International Criminal Court of Justice in The Hague. The film has been supported by FILMFUND (LU) and CNC (FR).
- TEL AVIV ON FIRE by Sameh Zoabi, producer: EAVE graduate Bernard Michaux is in post-production. Taking place nowadays in Ramallah where everybody watches the successful soap opera TEL AVIV ON FIRE in which a Palestinian female spy has a love affair with an Israeli General in 1967, the film tells the story of Salam, a charming 30-year-old Palestinian living in East Jerusalem, working as an intern on the show in Ramallah. Every day, he has to pass the check point to reach the studios. He encounters the check point Commander Assi, whose wife is a huge fan of the soap. In order to please her, Assi puts pressure on Salam to influence the story of the show. Salam soon understands Assi’s creative vision can get him a promotion as a screenwriter, at least until Assi and the show’s financial backers start disagreeing on how it should all end, leaving Salam uncomfortably caught in the middle… The co-production between Samsa Film, Lama Film, TS Productions, Artemis Productions, Be Tv and Shelter Prod has been supported by the Film Fund Luxembourg, the Israël Film Fund, Eurimages and in association with taxshelter.be and ING.
Page published 29 March 2018. Updated 30 March 2018.