Puentes project UNSPANTAN received production support
In Production March 2017
Eurimages has distributed 5.68 million Euros of co-production support to 19 fiction, 2 documentaries and 3 animation film projects. Among them are 16 projects by EAVE graduates:
- BROTHERS by Ömür Atay, co-producer: EAVE+ graduate Borislav Chouchkov
- COLD WAR by Pawel Pawlikowski, producer: EAVE graduate Lukasz Dieziol
- FREE SUBJECT by Stella Theodorakis, producer: EAVE graduate Guillaume de Seille
- GIPSY QUEEN by Hüseyin Tabak, producer: EAVE graduate Danny Krausz
- HAPPY AS LAZARRO by Alice Rohrwacher, producers: EAVE+ graduate Carlo Cresta-Dino
- PASSED BY CENSOR by Serhat Karaaslan, producers: EAVE participant Undine Filter, Ties That Bind graduate Judith Nora
- STITCHES by Miroslav Terzic, producer: EAVE graduates Zendka Gold, Adis Djapo
- TEL AVIV ON FIRE by Sameh Zoabi, producer: EAVE graduate and Head of Studies Jani Thiltges
- THE CAPTAIN by Robert Schwentke, producer: EAVE graduate Lukas Dzieciol
- THE DELEGATION by Bujar Alimani, producer: EAVE graduate Konstantina Stavrianou
- THE HARVESTERS by Etienne Kallos, producer: EAVE graduate Sophie Erbs, co-producers: EAVE graduates Konstantinos Kontovrakis, Mariusz Wlodarski
- THE SWALLOWS OF KABUL by Zabou Breitman, Eléa Gobbé-Mévellec, co-producer: Stephan Roelants
- THE MAN WHO KILLED DON QUIXOTTE by Terry Gilliam, producers: EAVE graduates Diana Elbaum, Sébastien Delloye
- THE MERCY OF THE JUNGLE by Joel Karekezi, producers: EAVE graduates Aurélien Bodinaux, Nezha Cohen
- THE MIRACLE OF THE SARGASSO SEA by Syllas Tzoumerkas, producers: EAVE graduates Maria Drandaki and Ellen Havenith, EAVE+ graduate Titus Kreyenberg
- TRANSIT by Christian Petzold, co-producer: EAVE graduate Antonin Dedet
Screen Flanders supports four projects by EAVE graduates:
- DON’T SHOOT by Stijn Coninx, producer: EAVE graduate Peter Bouckaert
- ELECTRIC GIRL by Ziska Riemann, producer: EAVE graduate Nicole Gerhards
- FENIX by Shariff Korver, producer: EAVE graduate Léontine Petit
- GRENSLANDERS by Erik de Bruyn, co-producer: EAVE graduate Peter Bouckaert
- PARI by Siamak Etemadi, producer: EAVE graduate Laurette Schillings, co-producers: Konstantinos Kontovrakis, Borislav Chouchkov is in development. Dutch production outfit Topkapi Films and France’s Le Bureau will co-produce with Greek company Heretic and Bulgaria’s The Chouchkov Brothers. The Athens-set drama follows the devout Muslim parents of an Iranian student studying in the Greek capital who must search for their son after he goes missing. When the father returns to Iran following a tragic accident, the mother (the titular Pari) must continue the search alone in the darkest corners of the city. PARI has been developed through the Torino Film Lab, Cannes Film Festival’s L’Atelier Cinefondation, and was the winner of the CNC Award at Sarajevo Film Festival’s CineLink in 2014. It has backing from Creative Europe’s MEDIA programme, the Greek Film Centre, Greek broadcaster ERT S.A, and France’s Centre National Cinematographique. The producers are currently completing financing and are aiming for an autumn 2017 shoot.
- Puentes project UNSPANTAN by César Diaz, producer: Puentes graduate Géraldine Sprimont receives production support from the Belgian National Fund. With funding by Cinéma du Mondea and Pyramide already in place, the producers are now sure to make this project come true. Shooting is planned between November and December 2017.
The Finnish Film Foundation has granted production support to the following EAVE films:
- CHRISTMASLAND by Inari Niemi, producer: EAVE graduate Annika Sucksdorff
- THE HUMAN’S LOT by Juha Lehtola, producers: EAVE graduates Misha Jaari, Mark Lwoff
- WINNING TICKET by Lenka Hellstedt, producer: EAVE+ graduate Jukka Helle
- HAPPIER TIMES, GRUMP by Tiina Lymi, producer: EAVE+ graduate Jukka Helle
- MY BROTHER’S KEEPER by JP Siili, producer: EAVE graduate Annika Sucksdorff
- FINNISH ANGEL by Jean Michel Roux, producer: EAVE graduate Kaarle Aho
- A STRANGER by Mikel Cee Karlsson, producer: EAVE graduate Mark Lwoff, Misha Jaari
- NO MAN’S LAND by Marika Harjusaari, producer: EAVE graduate Kaarle Aho
- KENSUKE’S KINGDOM by Neil Boyle and Kirk Hendry, producer: EAVE graduate Stephan Roelants is in development. Based on acclaimed War Horse author Michael Morpugo’s bestselling novel, KENSUKE’S KINGDOM will follow the adventures of a boy called Michael and his dog Stella who are shipwrecked on a remote desert island. Terrified and struggling to survive, Michael soon discovers that they share the island with Kensuke – a mysterious old Japanese man who has been living on the island for decades with a family of orangutans as his companions. Keeping their distance, they treat each other with mutual suspicion. However, as dangerous invaders appear on the horizon, it becomes clear that they must join forces to save their fragile island paradise. Produced by UK’s Lupus Films and Luxembourg’s Mélusine Productions and co-produced by Working Title Films the project is backed by the Film Fund Luxembourg.
- THE MIRACLE OF THE SARGASSO SEA by Syllas Tzoumerkas, producers: EAVE graduates Maria Drandaki, Ellen Havenith, Olle Wirenhed and EAVE+ graduate Titus Kreyenberg has entered the pre-production stage. Set in a small, austerity-riddled, decaying town in Greek suburbia, the film is set to be Tzoumerkas’ first foray into genre narratives, as the script follows two women who get involved in a mysterious suicide case. As the case’s secrets are uncovered, the two unlikely heroines will discover striking similarities between them, as in this senseless, bland world, neither seems too eager to abide by the law. First presented as an in-development project in 2015 at the Rotterdam-Berlinale Express, where it was awarded the Special Mention of the Eurimages Jury, Syllas Tzoumerkas’ third feature (following HOMELAND and A BLAST) is supported by MEDIA, the Greek Film Center, the Nederlands Filmfonds, Film Väst, Film und Medienstiftung NRW and ERT SA. Shooting is planned for summer.
- WAITING by Zuzana Liova, co-producer: EAVE graduate Jana Cisar is in development. The film is an intimate drama about a man who just turned 60 and learns that he’s dying of cancer. „I intend to make a film about how definiteness and infinity intersect in our lives. Dying is not just a physical process, it also has a symbolic meaning. Our attitudes, habits and egoism disappear as well“, says Zuzana Liová, who has just finished writing the third draft of the script. Slovakia’s HITCHHIKER Cinema is producing in coproduction with Mimesis Film from the Czech Republic and Germany‘s Jana Cisar Filmproduktion. Support comes from the Slovak Audiovisual Fund.
- NINA by Juraj Lehotsky, co-producer: EAVE graduate Jiri Konecny is in development. Juraj Lehotsky sets the plot of his upcoming film in the world of an 11-year old girl going through the divorce of her parents. The only certainty in her life are her childish dreams and swimming. „I wanted to tell a story from a child’s point of view“, said the director, who wrote the script of NINA together with Marek Lescak. Punkchart Films is producing in co-production with Czech endorfilm. The Slovak Audiovisual Fund, Creative Europe MEDIA, the Czech State Cinematography Fund and Bratislava Self-Governing Region are supporting.
Page published 29 March 2017. Updated 26 April 2017.