MOON HOTEL KABUL now in post-production
In Post-Production April 2018
- MOON HOTEL KABUL, produced, written and directed by EAVE graduate Anca Damian, EAVE graduate, Sophie Erbs, EAVE+ graduate Tom Dercourt has finished post-production. The plot: Ivan Semciuc (a journalist), is a charismatic man nonetheless guilty of cynicism and lack of compassion. A seemingly meaningless sexual encounter with a translator in a hotel room in Kabul produces a vital revolution in Ivan’s unshakeable lifestyle. After Ivan’s arrival back to Bucharest, Ioana is found dead, with her wrists cut. Ivan starts living in the absent presence of Ioana, who is starting to be more vivid in death than in life. The project has received support from the Romanian National Cinema Fund, the MEDIA Programme, HBO, Orange and Eurimages.
- STUPID YOUNG HEART by Selma Vilhunen, producers: EAVE graduates Elli Toivoniemi and Venla Hellstedt finished editing. The coming-of-age drama tells the story of two teenagers whose new-found love is interrupted by an unplanned pregnancy. As they decide to keep the baby, Lenni, a 15-year-old father-to-be, turns to the much older Janne for support. But he gets more than he bargained for in his unlikely new mentor, who is part of the right-wing movement. The film was financed by the Finnish Film Foundation, Church Media Foundation, Creative Europe Slate Fund, Finnish broadcasting company Yle, the Swedish Film Institute, the Netherlands Film Fund and Nordisk Film.The project won the Work-in-Progress Prize at the Finnish Film Affair last September.
- MONOS by Alejandro Landes & Alexis dos Santos, producers: PUENTES graduate and group leader Fernando Epstein, EAVE graduate Léontine Petit is in post-production.The plot: On a faraway Colombian mountaintop, what at first glance looks like a hedonistic summer camp, is actually the setting of a mission: child soldiers with war names must make sure that Doctor, a kidnapped American woman, stays alive. But when a battle approaches and a borrowed milk cow is killed by accident, playtime is over.
- LA FAMILIA SUMERGIDA by Maria Alché, co-producer: PUENTES graduate Tatiana Leite is in post-production. Marcela’s peaceful family life is disturbed when Rina, her sister and lifetime companion, suddenly dies. Back home, the relatives turn up and conversations overlapping with fragments of the wake and the remote past. Marcela and the apparitions discuss old family matters still upsetting her. Her home also receives a friend of her daughter’s, Nacho. She asks him to come along to see a lot, abandoned by her family long ago. The films main producers are Barbara Francísco and Delfina Monteccia.
- ISAAC by Jurgis Matulevicius, co-producer: EAVE graduate Kuba Kosma is shooting. The film has been more than five years in the making, and only a couple of shooting days are left to finish in Ukraine in April, although editing has already begun. The plot: In 1941, Lithuanian activist Andrius Gluosnis kills a Jew, Isaac, in the Lietukis garage massacre. Years later in Soviet Lithuania, Gluosnis’ film director friend Gutauskas returns from the USA to make a film about the massacre. While researching the details for the film, he finds out that his friend was not just a passive bystander. Gluosnis’ life begins to crumble during the preparations for the film, his guilt torturing him until he understands that he has to make peace with the victim. The co-production between Lithuania, Ukraine and Poland is a psychological drama composed of long takes. ISAAC is being produced by Stasys Baltakis of Lithuanian company Film Jam, and co-produced by Ukraine’s Esse House and Kuba Kosma’s Takfilm. The Lithuanian Film Fund is supporting the project.
Page published 30 April 2018.