EAVE project FLATLAND receives Minority Co-production Support
In Development / Pre-Production September 2017
3 TIES THAT BIND projects have received development support by the Talents Tokyo Project Development Fund:
- TIES THAT BIND project SYNCHRONICITY by Yusuke Kinoshita, producer: TTB graduate Ryohei Tsutsui
- TIES THAT BIND project WHITE IN BLOOD, directed and produced by TTB graduate Sein Lyan Tun
- TIES THAT BIND project MOTEL ACACIA by Bradley Liew, producer: TTB graduate Bianca Balbuena
TIES THAT BIND project TRIALS OF CHUL by Danilo Beckovic (Gargantua Films, Serbia), has received development support by Film Centre Serbia.
The Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation (ERT) has announced its support for 16 Greek and international co-productions in its first round of funding for this year. Among the selected projects are the five films by EAVE graduates:
- APPLES by Christos Nikou, producer: EAVE graduate Vicky Miha
- BARBAROSSA by Sotiris Goritsas, producer: EAVE graduate Vicky Miha
- LE BUS by Shu Aiello and Catherine Catela, producer: EAVE graduate Fenia Cossovitsa
- O ANTHROPOS ME TIS APANTISEIS by Stelios Kammitsis, producer: EAVE graduate Fenia Cossovitsa
- SHEDON AVGI by Margarita Manda, producer: EAVE graduate Konstantinos Kontovrakis
The Hubert Bals Fund (HBF) has announced the four projects selected for its 2017 HBF+Europe: Minority Co-production Support scheme.
- EAVE project FLATLAND by Jenna Bass, producer: EAVE graduate David Horler-Blankfield, co-producers: Roshanak Behesht Nedjad, Alexandra Hoesdorff, EAVE + graduate Titus Kreyenberg
- MEMORY HOUSE by João Paulo Miranda Maria, co-producer: EAVE graduate Didar Domehri
- PUENTES project CLARA SOLA by Natalie Alvarez, producer: PUENTES graduate Nima Yousefi, PUENTES graduate Katrin Pors, EAVE graduate Peter Krupenin
- THE REPORTS ON SARAH AND SALEEM by Muayad Alayan, co-producer: EAVE graduate Hanneke Niens
- ABOVE MAN, THE WOMAN SOARS, produced and directed by EAVE graduate Tudor Giurgiu is in pre-production. The project is a co-production between Giurgiu’s Libra Film, Tito Clint Movies (Spain) and Evolution Films (Czech Republic). The story, based on the novel Closeness by Romanian author Marin Malaicu-Hondrari, follows Adrian, a Romanian poet who arrives in Spain. Without any papers, he starts working as a night watchman. His life changes forever when he meets Maria, a guitar player in a jazz band. Production will start on October 18, with the Spanish cities of Córdoba, Seville and Candás serving as the main shooting locations.
- LEGACY by Dorian Boguta, producer: EAVE graduate Oana Giurgiu is in pre-production. The screenplay, written by Boguta with Loredana Novak, shows what happens after the disappearance of a famous piano player, Anton. The police investigation and flashbacks will reveal a troubled artist who, despite his success as a piano player, feels crushed because he cannot compose. Threatened by illness and feeling he will leave nothing behind, the protagonist tries to fulfil his sister's biggest wish. The Romanian psychological thriller is a co-production between Hai-Hui Entertainment, represented by Oana Giurgiu, and Cristi Puiu’s Mandragora. Support is coming from the Romanian National Film Center. A sequence is being shot in September, but the main shooting period is planned over four weeks in November.
- CAT IN THE WALL, produced and directed by Mina Mileva and EAVE graduate Vesela Kazakova is in development. The production company is the directors’ own Activist 38, while Glasshead Limited (UK) will co-produce. The screenplay, written by the two directors, is partially based on real events and follows Alena, a Bulgarian single mother living on a housing estate in London. Unlike her neighbours, Alena owns her flat and doesn’t live on benefits. Brexit hysteria and gentrification plans put pressure on the small community, which has been living in peace for a decade. In this context, a visit from Alena’s brother, Vlad, the adoption of a ginger cat and her relationship with her neighbours will push the protagonist down a path at the end of which she will have to decide whether London is still her home. The project has the support of the Bulgarian National Television. The start of production is planned for the spring of 2018.
Page published 28 September 2017.