EAVE project ALEA AQUARIUS in development
In development / pre-production October 2019
At its 156th meeting held in October 2019 in Strasbourg, the Eurimages Fund agreed to support 11 feature films, 1 documentaries and 4 animation projects. Among them are these films by EAVE graduates:
- TITINA by Kajsa Næss, producer: EAVE graduate Lise Fearnley
- TITANE by Julia Ducournaum co-producer: EAVE graduate Jean-Yves Roubain
- THE ISLAND directed and produced by EAVE graduate Anca Damian
- EAVE/TTB project HOLY EMY by Araceli Lemos, producer: EAVE and TTB graduate Konstantinos Vassilaros
- YOU WILL NOT HAVE MY HATE by Kilian Riedhof, producer: EAVE graduate Jonas Dornbach
- SMALL BODY by Laura Samani, producer: EAVE graduate Nadia Trevisan, co-producer: EAVE graduate and group leader Daniel Hocevar
- MISS MARX by Susanna Nicchiarelli, producer: Interchange graduate Marta Donzelli and TTB graduate Valérie Bournonville
- THE ALBANIAN VIRGIN by Bujar Alimani, producer: EAVE graduate Peter de Maegd
- TOVE by Zaida Bergroth, producer: EAVE graduate Aleksi Bardy
- WOLF by Nathalie Biancheri, producer: EAVE graduate Agnieszka Wasiak
Finnish Film Foundation
The Finnish Film Foundation (FFF) supports two feature-length fiction films, as well as four feature-length and two short documentaries – including three minority co-productions.
- DINOSAURUS by Veikko Aaltonen, producers: EAVE graduates Mark Lwoff and Misha Jaari
- SENSELESS by Guy Davidi, producer: EAVE graduate Kaarle Aho
- GOOD LIFE by Marta Dauliute and Viktorija Šiaulyte, co-producer: EAVE graduate Dagne Vildziunaite
In its last session of 2019, the screen.brussels fund has selected 8 co-production projects. Among the chosen works are 3 fiction features, 2 animated films, 2 TV series and one documentary.
- CARPE DIEM Emmanuel Marre, producer EAVE graduate Benoît Roland
- INEXORABLE by Fabrice du Welz, producer: EAVE graduate Jean-Yves Roubin
- LILITH & DE GEBROEDERS SCHIMM by Michael Van Ostade, produced by Tomas Leyers and Denis Vaslin
Slovenian Film Centre
The Slovenian Film Centre has announced the winners of its most recent competition for the production of feature-length fiction, documentary and debut fiction films. Among them:
- THE LAST HERO, directed and produced by EAVE graduate Ziga Virc
- THE MAN WITHOUT GUILT by Ivan Gergolet, producer: EAVE graduate Miha Cernec
EAVE project ALEA AQUARIUS, producer: EAVE graduate Dorothe Beinemeier is in development. Beinemeier’s production company Red Balloon Film and ZDF Enterprises are set to co-develop and produce the adaptation of the best-selling ALEA AQUARIUS German young adult novels by Tanya Stewner. The project is planned as a 26×26-minute series and feature film and will be made in English. The series will address issues that are important to young people, such as pollution, and tells the story of the mergirl Alea and her friends from the Alpha Cru, who together want to save the oceans and the Earth from destruction. Production is due to be completed in 2021/2022. EAVE graduate Dorothe Beinemeier, producer and managing director at Red Balloon, has already adapted the books and also took care of the project development and financing on the German side. The first collaboration between ZDF Enterprises and Red Balloon was the young adult series HEIRS OF THE NIGHT, which was launched at a World Premiere TV Screening at MIPJunior.
INEXORABLE by Fabrice du Welz, producer: EAVE graduate Jean-Yves Roubin receives support by Wallimage. The plot: After the resounding success of his first novel, Inexorable, Marcel Bellmer never really managed to reach the same heights again. Years later and after a grave depression now behind him, Marcel, his wife and editor Jeanne Drahi, and their daughter Lucie, move into the rich apartment of his father-in-law. That is when Gloria is hired as a housekeeper. Young and fragile, she troubles Marcel to his very core…. The film is produced by Frakas Production in Belgium and co-produced by The Jokers in France.
www.wallimage.beRÄUBERHÄNDE by Ilker Catak, producer: EAVE graduate Martin Heisler is currently in preparation. The film tells the story of Janik and Samuel, two teenage friends from different family backgrounds. Coming from a “perfect” family, Janick longs for some chaos, while Samuel wishes to get away from his alcoholic mother. In order to save their friendship after Samuel does something reckless, the two embark on a trip to Istanbul, eager to start a new life and to enjoy their freedom to the fullest. This adaptation of the young-adult fiction novel of the same name by Finn-Ole Heinrich (the script was penned by Heinrich himself and Gabriele Simon) was honoured with the Thomas Strittmatter Prize for Screenwriting in 2018. RÄUBERHÄNDE is being produced by Flare Film in collaboration with SWR, ARTE and HR. The Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg, BKM, MFG Baden-Württemberg, Kuratorium junger deutscher Film and DFFF supported the project.
ALCARRAS by Carla Simon, producer: EAVE graduate and Spanish National Coordinator Maria Zamora receives support from Spain’s ICAA – Film and Audiovisual Arts Institute. The film tells the story of the large Solé family, who harvest a great expanse of land full of peach trees. One day, they wake up to some bad news: the owner of the land they have been cultivating for generations has recently died. His son and heir wants them to abandon the farming business so he can uproot the trees and install solar panels. The project is in development received the Eurimages Co-Production Development Award at this year’s Berlinale.
Page published 30 October 2019. Updated 31 October 2019.