EAVE project development workshop in Macedonia for producers from the region
November 15-18, Skopje
EAVE ON DEMAND PROJECT DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP in MACEDONIA
November 15-18, 2014
EAVE in cooperation with the Macedonian Film Agency in the frame of the “Cinedays” Film Festival for European films will organize EAVE ON DEMAND- project development workshop for feature fiction film projects in development
TARGET PARTICIPANTS: 8 producer’s with project and their scriptwriter’s/director’s for the group work and individual meetings as following:
- 5 projects with script
- 3 projects in treatment stage
WHO CAN APPLY? Producers from Macedonia and producers from countries in the region (Croatia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Slovenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania, Montenegro, Kosovo)
DURATION: 4 days’ workshop + 1 on-line feedback session. After the workshop participants will be working on project development and will have been set specific tasks and assignments. Contact between the participants and between participants and thepedagogical team take place via email and online community contact.
FEE: 150 Euro (amount covers only 15% of hotel accommodations for five nights (six days))
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: October 21, 2014.
Applicants must submit following application documents:
- Application form, completed (please download the template here)
- Producer’s Letter of motivation (max. 1 page)
- Scriptwriter’s / Director’s Letter of motivation (max. 1 page)
- Producer’s 1-2 page CV (text, not tabular form)
- Writer’s / Director’s 1-2 page CV (text, not tabular form)
- Brief description of production company
- A list of company's productions: in development, pre-production, production and of those released
- 1 photograph/portrait (.jpg or .pdf)
- 1 page synopsis
- treatment (max.15 pages)
For participants who apply with script also is needed:
- Estimated production budget in €
- Financing plan in €
All documents except for picture must be submitted in one file (Word format) in English language. Incomplete application documents will not be reviewed.
APPLICATION FORM (WORD DOCUMENT)
Please indicate “EAVE ON DEMAND” in the subject line of the e-mail.
Content of the workshop: The EAVE experts and participants of the EAVE ON DEMAND will work together on:
- Script writing and script development
- Structural analysis/dramaturgy
- Relationship producer-writer/director
- Development, production and co-production financing including many different areas of financing (e.g.EU & international financing landscape,co-production regulations, the structure of the revenue waterfall as well as strategic approaches to raising development and production finance
- Budgeting and financial management
- Market and audience awareness
- Sales and distribution including the principles underlying these practices
- Marketing tools including knowledge of the European and international market, the function of festivals and associated markets
- Packaging in both form and content
- The changing characteristics of the industry and the implications of the current period of technological change represented by digitalization and the internet, especially in relation to distribution and new modes of financing
- Communication skills and pitching – pitching conceived as a complete understanding of the project and company motivation is a core aspect of the curriculum • Company management, corporate development & strategic planning incl. Business planning, incorporating the principles of SWOT analysis applicable to many aspects of the producer’s work, production processes and company management & development
- Planning career development.
The expert panel will consist of:
Jean Des Forêts - Group Leader
Based in Paris, Jean des Forêts (Paris, 1976) has been working in the production field for more than 10 years. His productions include LEONES by Jazmín López (Venezia Orizzonti 2012), AGUA FRÍA DE MAR by Paz Fábrega (Tiger Award in Rotterdam in 2010), HEROS by Bruno Merle (Cannes Critic's Week 2007). Jean is also head of studies for EAVE Puentes workshops as well as French national coordinator for EAVE. He regularly teaches for international film schools and works as an independent expert for the European Commission. He is an appointed member of CNC/MAE – Aide aux Cinémas du Monde committee.
Jacques Akchoti – Script Consultant
After his studies at the NYU film school, Jacques Akchoti has worked in different areas of film production with directors such as Robert Bresson, Jean-Jacques Beineix, Lars Von Trier.He then became a screenwriter, script consultant, and headed the development of many French and international films for cinema and television, which obtained selections and awards at major film festivals. Most recently, Jacques worked on “A Screaming Man” by Haroun Mahamat Saleh, recipient of many awards, notably the Jury Prize at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival.He has directed a feature film for television and written several screenplays. One of his latest scripts, “Don’t Look back”, a film by Marina De Van featuring Sophie Marceau and Monica Bellucci was part of the Official Selection of the 2009 Cannes Film Festival. Jacques has been teaching writing and directing at the Femis (National French Film School) since 1988 and has facilitated many international screenwriting and development workshops, which include EAVE, Sud Ecriture, DV8 films, Vision Cinema, Ekran, Interchange, Jerusalem Film Lab, etc.
Didar Domehri - Film Sales and Marketing
Didar Domehri is a French producer, founder of the production Company MANEKI FILMS and the Label FULL HOUSE. She has produced and coproduced 7 films since the creation of MANEKI FILMS in september 2009. She has been formerly the head of international sales of the french sales company FILMS DISTRIBUTION for 8 years (2001- 2009). She regularly teaches at the University Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne (Master in Cinema) and at the French film School ESRA. She has been also appointed member of CNC/MAE – "Aide aux Cinémas du Monde" Committee. She has produced : "Return to Ithaca" by Laurent Cantet (Venice Days Award 2014, Toronto FF 2014, San Sebastian FF 2014), "La Confrérie des larmes" by Jean Baptiste Andréa (2013) , "7 Days in Havana" by 7 filmmakers including Benicio del Toro, Elia Suleiman, Gaspar Noé, Pablo Trapero, Laurent Cantet (Un certain Regard - Cannes FF 2012, San Sebastian FF 2012), "Bang Gang" by Eva Husson (in post production), and coproduced : "11 flowers" by Wang Xiaoshuai (Toronto FF 2011, San Sebatsian FF 2011) "Elefante Blanco" by Pablo Trapero (Un certain Regard - Cannes FF 2012, San Sebastian FF 2012) and "La Patota" by Santiago Mitre (in post production).
Hayet Benkara - Development/(Co-)Production/Distribution, Marketing and Festival Strategies.
A Toronto-based Film Industry Advisor. She worked 6 years as the Manager of the Sales Office, the unofficial market, at the Toronto International Film Festival. She is now the Manager of STUDIO a new industry year round programme at TIFF Bell Lightbox (tiff.net/Studio). Benkara has also worked for many prestigious film festivals such as Cannes (Producers Network), Berlin (the Co-production market), IFFR (CineMart), the Dubai International Film Festival, the Guanajuato Film Festival (Mexico), Era New Horizon (Poland), the Abu Dhabi Film Festival and most recently the Doha Film Institute. Over the years, Hayet Benkara has developed a very strong international network and a good knowledge of the international market place. Year round she advises young and more established filmmakers and producers on Development, Production, Co-production, Distribution and Marketing, and Festival strategies.
Page last updated 12 January 2015