MY LAST YEAR AS A LOSER to start shooting
In Production August 2017
- MY LAST YEAR AS A LOSER by Ursa Menart, producer EAVE group leader Danijel Hočevar, starts shooting on 6 September. The story of a 29-year-old unemployed girl, who is stuck in the midst of Slovenia's seemingly never-ending economic crisis, is Menart’s debut feature. The film is a comedy/drama about disillusionment, shame and the gap between the overeducated, underemployed millennials and their parents, who had high expectations for their kids and feel powerless when watching them fail.
Produced by Vertigo in coproduction with NuFrame, 100 and RTV Slovenia, the project was supported by the Slovenian Film Center. Technical support was provided by Studio Viba Film. Shooting in Ljubljana and its surroundings is expected to wrap in October.
- ETHER by Krzysztof Zanussi, co-producer: EAVE graduate Olena Fetisova is shooting. The film is a Polish-Ukrainian-Hungarian-Lithuanian co-production, supported by Polish Film Institute, Ukrainian State Film Agency, Hungarian Film Fund and Lithuanian Film Centre. ETHER is a story about a military medical doctor acting at the beginning of twentieth century experimenting with science in order to get control over other people.
- LAZZARO FELICE by Alice Rohrwacher, producer: EAVE graduate Carlo Cresto-Dina is shooting. Through the adventures of Lazzaro, a naïve man born in a farming hamlet that has thoroughly steered clear of the modern world, the director intends to adopt the style of a poetic tale as she studies the profound, major changes that have taken place in Italian society over the last 30 years. Staged by Italian outfit Tempesta, the feature is being co-produced by French Ad Vitam Production, AMKA Films Productions (Switzerland) and Pola Pandora Filmproduktion (Germany).
The film was funded by MiBACT (Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities), Switzerland's Federal Office of Culture, Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg, Eurimages and CNC’s World Cinema fund, the Lazio regional fund and the prestigious Grand Accord ARTE scheme.
- CARAVAN by Sebastian Schipper, co-producer: EAVE graduate Jonas Dornbach is shooting. In this daring road movie, the filmmaker sends two 18-year-olds on a stirring trip across Europe. A young man from the Congo in search of his brother attempts to cross Europe’s borders. In Morocco, he teams up with a sharp-witted British runaway who pinched his stepfather’s recreational vehicle in order to escape from a family holiday. On their journey, the disparate duo has to make decisions that will also influence the lives of others. Set against the backdrop of the refugee crisis, the script was penned by Schipper and German writer-director Oliver Ziegenbalg. CARAVAN will be shot over a period of 11 weeks in Morocco, Spain and France. At the end of October, the picture is scheduled to wrap in Calais, amongst Europe’s lost refugees. The film is being staged as a German-French co-production by Schipper’s Berlin-based company Missing Link Films and France’s Kazak Productions. Further production partners include Berlin-based production outfit Komplizen Film, StudioCanal, WDR, Arte, ARD Degeto and Radical Media. The production has received financial support from Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg, Film- und Medienstiftung NRW, the FFA, Eurimages, the French-German mini co-production treaty, BKM and the DFFF.
- HERITAGE by Senka Domanovic, producer: EAVE graduate Snezana Penev is in production. The short film is produced by This and That Productions, together with Cineplanet. HERITAGE tells a story about a powerful encounter of old acquaintances that leaves an important trace on their lives. Support comes from Film Center Serbia. The film will be shot over a period of six days in and around Belgrade.
- SEE YOU SOON IN ROMANIA by David Mahmoudieh, service producer: EAVE graduate Iuliana Tarnovetchi is in production. The romantic drama starring Liam McIntyre, Jenia Tanaeva and Harvey Keitel was shot in Romania in July 2017. Jenia Tanaeva penned the script together with Mike Cestari and is producing through See You Soon Project LLC together with Monella Kaplan through eMotion Entertainment. The film tells the story of an American football player who falls in love with a single mother. Shooting in Romania took place in Cluj-Napoca and Bucharest, in studio and also on location. Romania's Alien Film is servicing not only in Romania, but also in Greece and Russia. Shooting continues now in Russia.
- GIRL by Lukas Dhont, producer: EAVE graduates Frans van Gestel, Laurette Schillings, Arnold Heslenfeld is shooting his feature debut. The film tells the story of a young woman willing to do anything to make her dream come true. She yearns to become a prima ballerina, but the only problem is that Lara is 15 years old and was born into the body of a boy. Together with her father, she will fight to find her true identity and make her dream come true, whatever the cost.
GIRL is being produced by Menuet, and co-produced in the Netherlands byTopkapi, and in Wallonia by Frakas Productions with support from the Flanders Audiovisual Fund, the Wallonia-Brussels Federation’s Film Centre and the Netherlands Film Fund. The shoot, which kicked off on 9 August, is due to wrap in late September, and the film should be ready for unveiling in the first half of 2018.
Page published 29 August 2017.